We will undertake a long-term programme to close the educational gap between the fortunate and the forgotten, with policies including:
- Building hundreds of good new schools within the state system
- Shifting the balance of power away from the government and towards parents
- Removing the obstacles which prevent new schools being established
- Encouraging smaller and more varied schools to respond to parents’ demands
In addition, we will take a number of immediate steps to improve standards in all our schools:
- Improve discipline and behaviour in schools by shifting the balance of power in the classroom back to the teacher
- Ensure more teaching by ability to stretch the strongest and nurture the weakest
- Look at reforming the testing regime in primary schools to reduce bureaucracy and focus on every pupil’s real needs
By doing all this, a Conservative Government will stop the decline in standards and create the excellent schools our children deserve.
Download (and learn some quotes from) their school policy paper...